Friday, October 24, 2008

Safety Reminder!

I don't normally post twice in one day, but I felt this warranted attention, especially to my female bloggie peeps. This incident happened within 5 miles from my neighborhood...a very quiet 'safe' and cozy area of suburbia. Reading this reminds me of the importance of 'Safety First' when running outside, especially now that it is getting dark so early, and is still dark in the early morning. Please be careful! As much as we enjoy running and get 'lost' in the moment, it is important to be aware of our surroundings always!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jogger Uses Pepper Spray To Escape Driver
POSTED: 4:28 pm EDT October 23, 2008
UPDATED: 11:10 pm EDT October 23, 2008



BAY VILLAGE, Ohio -- A woman jogging in Bay Village Wednesday night used pepper spray on a man who tried to grab her.
Police said the woman was jogging on a residential street at about 9:30 p.m.
She said a dark SUV approached her from the opposite direction and driver's window was lowered.
Police said the driver grabbed the woman by her jacket and shined a flashlight in her eyes as he attempted to open his door.
She was able to use pepper spray on the driver and she ran away.
The driver was described as a white man with a clean appearance, wearing a dark baseball cap. He is about 40 years of age.
Police are continuing to investigate.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. It is a scary world out there sometimes.

Note to self...get pepper spray ASAP.

COTY said...

Thanks for sharing. It makes me angry that there are sickos out there. I will carry mine always now.

RooBabs said...

Wow, that is scary. I worry sometimes when I'm running by myself at the park (since it's a very secluded part of the neighborhood). Luckily she had the pepper spray or it could have turned out much worse. I think I'd better buy some.

Thanks for the warning!!

Kristy said...

Yikes, scary. I hope you carry some with you, Cyndi.

Nicole said...

This is EXACTLY why i run on a treadmill in the safety of my own home. CREEPER people like that i'm paranoid about! AHHHHH

Anonymous said...

Cyndi - This is so scary, but thank you for the safety reminder. I have been meaning to get some pepper spray, and this is a good motivator. I usually take a dog or two with me, but one (Maggie) would probably just annoy the attacker with licking and jumping ;-) The other (Molly) would take a bullet for me.