Friday, October 24, 2008

Pre-Game!


I am just giddy with excitement about my first official 'race' tomorrow! I just checked the weather and it looks a little more promising....the rain clears out around 6-7am, and at 9am it will be 52 degrees and cloudy. Sounds perfect! Based on last year's online results, it looks like a little over 200 people ran this last year, which is twice as many as the year before that!


So I'm hitting up all the veteran racers around here...what exactly do I need to take tomorrow? This is only a 5K, so obviously I'm not showing up with tons of gadgety stuff like body glide, or gel packs and all that. I don't have a water bottle pack thingie, but since it's a short race, I can get fluid at the water station if I need it. So it seems like I just show up with myself dressed and ready to run? The husband will have the camera of course...what am I missing? Should I bring my own safety pins for the bib? Is there anything else generally that I should *know*?


I am not nervous about the running part - I've got my pacing strategy loosely mapped out for myself. I'm more nervous about the whole atmosphere in general...feeling like the newbie out of my league etc. I don't want to look like I don't know what I'm doing ha ha....I have also never run with anyone...except maybe people way on the other side of the track! Or passing someone on the sidewalk in the 'hood. So it's going to feel wierd running AMONG others - fun of course, but I will be self conscious at first. I am actually prone to some shyness in new situations....thank goodness I have developed some self-confidence over the last few months, or I would probably find some lame reason not to go do this!

My Gracie now wants to 'see' things before she commits to running the 1 mile Kid's Run. (I knew that would happen!) So I will do my best to encourage her to join in without forcing her. There will be other opportunities for her, and Alison for that matter! (who absolutely refuses to even TRY running since she "always has and always will hate running....") So, Grace is now on the fence about her little race, so we'll see how that all pans out. She told me last night, she just wanted some UnderArmour! *sigh* My kind of girl!
I'll be back tomorrow for my first ever race report! Can't wait!

6 comments:

BeachRunner said...

Be sure to wear whatever you have been comfortable wearing in the past when you run (shoes, shorts, hat, etc) and bring sweats that you can ditch with hubby so you stay warm waiting for the start of the race. HAVE FUN. Cant wait to read your report and see the pics.

Anonymous said...

FLIP FLOPS for post race and a warm top/dry top to put on.

I AM SOOOO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!

Don't worry about the people, they are all in the same boat. HAVE FUN that is the most important thing.

Will be waiting as patiently as possible for the race report.

COTY said...

Yes just enjoy & have FUN !

RooBabs said...

I am so excited for you. Even though I've done a few races, I always get nervous at the start- so much energy, but it adds to the excitement.

You shouldn't need to bring safety pins, but if you're worried about it, you could bring some with, just in case (that's how I am, so I always have them in my purse anyway- you never know when you're going to lose a button). You also might want to have gloves, at least to wear until the race starts.

I'm sure you already know this, but don't eat anything that your body isn't used to, either the night before or in the morning. And make sure to drink plenty of water today, and get some in the morning before you head out. And of course make a potty stop before the race.

Oh my gosh, it's going to be so fun. There is a 5k in my area on Thanksgiving and I'm getting more and more excited for it. I can't wait!! And I can't wait to read your race report!!! = )

Hopefully when Gracie sees your enthusiasm and excitement, she will want to at least give it a try. Once you do something once, it's usually much easier to do it again, so she might get hooked on it, too. How cool would that be?

Kristy said...

I am so so excited for you, Cyndi! I can't wait to hear all about it. And see pics. I hope Gracie decides to do the kids' run, too, but even if she doesn't don't you worry about it, okay? Just have a blast, you runner, you!

Nicole said...

They should have safety pins for you, if not, they are highly unorganized. I agree with Shosh, bring flipflops or something cozy for after i can't STAND leaving my shoes on for a second longer then i have to. Maybe toss an apple in your car or something for after. Hopefully they provide you with a snack but you never know! Good luck i can't wait to see pictures and hear all about it! You'll do great!!! :)