Monday, October 20, 2008

What's on YOUR nightstand?

Share with me, friends....what sort of reading material is currently in your briefcase, nightstand, or by your recliner?

I went to the library yesterday afternoon and picked up a couple of 'running reads'. (aka Runner's Porn as I've seen mentioned around the Blogosphere....). I am currently reading 'How To Train' by Hal Higdon. This is a book I won't read cover to cover, but just chapters pertinent to me. Mainly, the chapters relevant to beginning runners, women's running, and training plans for 5 & 10K's and Half Marathons. I also have 'Run Fast: How to Beat Your Best Time Every Time' also by Hal Higdon. This one I picked up just for kicks, obviously running 'fast' is not my goal at the moment, but I can still read about it! (besides, there was nothing else on the shelf....)

I also picked up several back issues of Runner's World, combined with what I checked out last week - I am pretty much caught up with all 2008 issues! LOVE.IT.

Also on my night stand is an assortment of other health and fitness related mags: Health, Shape, Fitness, Self....and I also checked out a couple of 'Body and Soul' issues (a Martha Stewart publication) out of curiosity. I really support the concept of a well - rounded, holistic approach to good health, Body and Soul as it is....so I'm looking forward to checking out something new! (Something besides 'do this many sets/reps/miles to lose x number of pounds in x number of weeks.....)
So, to all my blogger friends, share the wealth! What are you reading now? Even if it's not health or fitness related, inquiring minds want to know!

8 comments:

BeachRunner said...

I love Runners World and read it cover to cover every month.

Anonymous said...

I just read "What a Talk About When I Talk About Running" very interesting. I love RW when I get it...considering a subscription actually.

I also read lots of non-workout stuff which I love. I am reading "The Memory Keepers Daughter" right now.

Kristy said...

I usually have 3-4 books going at once. Right now I'm reading The Slow Fat Triathlete..which is about what it says. Some funny bits, some good info, and lots of rah rah, you can do this; also an oldie but goodie, Operator's Manual for the Planet Earth..fictional account of how and why souls choose to have bodies; just finished Salem's Lot with my online quit smoking buddies' book club thingy; and Pema Chodron's When Things Fall Aapart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times. Not quite what it sounds like, more of a spiritual guide to meditation and Buddhism-inspired living. I have stacks and stacks of magazines and books everywhere. Now that I'm so active, though, I don't get to hardly any of them and it takes forever to get through a book...except when injuries enforce rest.

Anonymous said...

Hrm...well, I do have several Deepak Chopra books on my nightstand that I'm working my way through. But I have to confess that what's currently in my bag (meaning, what I'm carrying with me so I can actually read it) is a Terry Pratchett Discworld novel. Not very mind-broadening, perhaps, but fun.

Other than that, mostly just Writer's Market. Sigh.

I like Pema Chodron too though.

V.

Kristy said...

A correction, that was Salem Falls, not Lot

Nicole said...

i love picking up shape at the store. id like to get it monthy but i always forget.

i get runners world so thats on my night stand as is 4 months to a 4 hour marathon. very good so far!

Carly said...

I have a basket of books by my bed and they all have dust on them. ha! I dabble through my magazines, Runners World and I have my ChiRunning that I have been reading for 4 years (not even close to finishing it). My latest reads are not running/health realated, just a bunch of photo books. boring.

Shannon Paris, Marketing Director/Realtor said...

I'm reading Marley & Me and it reminds me so much of my yellow lab that I can't help but love him more and more after each page I read!