Friday, October 3, 2008

Miscellaneous update and the new 'Friday Factoid'

I woke early this morning to do some research on Depakote. This is a seizure med (also used for treating bi-polar disorder) that the neuro wants to start Chris on, and then taper off the Topamax. *sigh* This will be the 4th med we have tried for Chris, as we try to find the right 'cocktail' to get him seizure free. So, the Depakote? Not sure I'm liking the side effect profile. Chris is not a good candidate for surgery right now, so we have to work with the meds for as long as we can. Unfortunately, the list of meds is getting shorter for us. Our neuro has suggested that we go see the pediatric epileptologists at the Cleveland Clinic. Our neuro is a general peds guy, and I think he is starting to scratch his head over finding the best med combo for Chris. Today I will call them and see when I can get Chris in. I may hold off on the Depakote until we see them and get their recommendation.

In workout news...my Thursday workouts are evolving into interval training sessions. I again threw in some 5mph intervals (ranging from 1-2 minutes), and then came down to a slow jog to recover my heart rate for about 2-3 minutes. I only do this during the 2nd half of my workout. Doing this for my 30 minute run last night burned a whopping 325 calories! LOVE that. I like to practice running faster too. I will continue this type of workout once a week only, so I don't hurt myself! It feels good to run *fast*.

Every Friday, I thought I'd share something that I've read or interesting facts that might be of interest to anyone trying to be healthy, lose weight and get fit. I read read read all the time - online, magazines, books. It's good to share the 'love'.

The following link at WebMD talks about 'healthy oils' as being a 'flat belly' food. For those of us who are old school, and shy away from oil and fat, this article deserves a read! Even Weight Watchers has added in 2 servings of 'healthy oils' to their guidelines. Read on...

Meet The 5 Flat Belly Foods

4 comments:

Bek said...

Cyndi!

I've missed so much while I've been away!

CONGRATS on graduating C25K! YOu are a runner now!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Great to hear you've been inspiring people by your results!


Sorry to hear things are still going wrong for Chris, I hope they can sort something out for you guys soon.

Its lovely to be back in my blog world and your are just going from strength to strength, I look forward to the next installment!

Anonymous said...

I used to be a "no oil" kind of girl but lately I've tapped into the power of olive oil to keep me fuller for longer - plus my husband got me into fish oil pills (so good for heart health) so I totally *get* this article!

Anonymous said...

Cyndi I hope that they get this cocktail right once and for all so that Chris has some peace. I will keep him and your fam in my thoughts.

Thanks for the factoid. Gotta love the science of getting to eat more of what you like or at least adding it back in. :-)

YEAH on running fast. Doesn't that feel sooo good!!

BeachRunner said...

I hope things work out for Chris. Nice job on the workouts. Keep up the great work.