Monday, October 13, 2008

Note to self...Don't Run When Sick!

First things first, I want to give a big shout out to Shosh and her rockin' mom and congratulate them on their first 1/2 marathon together in Baltimore this weekend! Stop by and give them a cyber high-five! They earned it!
Well...maybe I made an error in judgement by running yesterday, but I really felt fine while running and certainly took it way easy! I am sicker than a dawg today...mainly, I was up in the night with asthma-type symptoms, and still going on this morning. The only time I get this is when I'm sick...it is strange. And of course recently I've learned that running in humidity or high allergen times will aggravate it, but this is really bad today. No fever at all, just lots of head congestion and my chest is wheezy. I have not had to 'treat' asthma in a long time.

I just picked up some Primatene tablets (my old inhaler is, well, old...) and it seems to be helping a bit, but I am about to head home from work and get some much needed rest. The Hubby has Monday night football downtown tonight, so I won't be able to hit the bed until the kids go to bed. I'll definitely be hitting the couch though, no doubt about that! Every time I talk or walk, I start coughing UGH. I have achey joints - my knee was twingeing on me this morning and well...I just hope I didn't make things worse by running yesterday! I guess this is how we learn those lessons! Note to self...don't run when sick.

I pretty much have decided, no running until at least Thursday, and then only a very easy, shortened run. It may turn into Saturday, we'll see. It's going to stink being sidelined like this, especially with my first 5K coming up on the 25th.

Interesting theory on how I even have this 'sporadic' asthma in the first place. A couple of summers ago, we spent the weekend at my girlfriend's house, pseudo camping on their heavily wooded property. I spent some time in their hot tub before turning in for the night - and I woke up at like 2am barely able to breathe! Scary stuff. I ended up being sick for almost 3 weeks with this horrible asthma/bronchial type thing. Never had asthma in my life until then. I am convinced that inhaling the droplets from the hot tub irritated my airways permanently, and now every time I get 'sick', the asthma pops up. If any of my medically astute friends have thoughts on this theory, do share. ;-)

Oh well....I guess I have no choice but to roll with it, like anything else! Won't be the last time this happens, I'm sure. I figure I have not missed one workout since July 26th - maybe this is my body's way of telling me to take a break after 2 1/2 months.

Hope everyone has a good week!

7 comments:

BeachRunner said...

Dang! Sorry to hear you are sick. Get some rest, and I hope you feel better soon.

Zoomy said...

Hey, girl, don't mess with asthma. I have dealt with asthma issues for the last few years. Things really came to a head this Spring and I have been on Advair 250/50 ever since--I was using my inhaler too many times/day and waking up coughing. The Advair has been a godsend and greatly improved the quality of my life. I still use my inhaler preventatively before running and bring it along for long runs and races, but I don't NEED it like I used to, which is good.

Do not take asthma lightly. It can be a fatal disease and it can worsen without much warning. I would NOT rely on any OTC meds to treat it. Definitely get in to see your PCP right away.

Anonymous said...

Hi my dear friend. THANKS for the shout out...it really means so much to me. :-) YOU ROCK.

Ummmm if you're sick you're sick. Don't worry about missing a few days of running, as they would not be good runs. You're going to be a superstar on the 25th. You've done the distance already so no worries there. Promise you'll hold off until you're all better???? You're also letting your body heal and rest which we all know is sooooo important.

Feel better sweetie and thank you again!!

XOXOX

RooBabs said...

So sorry that you're feeling yucky. The allergy/asthma combination is a kicker sometimes. Try to get extra fluids (it usually helps me when I have breathing issues).

Don't worry about taking a break for a few days. Your body obviously needs it. I hope you feel better soon!! (oh, and your hot tub theory sounds totally plausible to me- but I'm no medical expert).

SuperDave said...

Since I am a Dr, more specifically a pulmonologist (Lung Dr)*my specialty* LOL , I can give you some good info. Don't have time right now, but give me a sec and I will post it .. :)

SuperDave said...

Cyndi, You have officially been "tagged!"

Nicole said...

Take a few days off and dont feel bad... see my comment on your previous post and maybe that will give you some insight.

I hope you feel better soon.