Thursday, October 2, 2008

Inspiring Others

It's a revolution of sorts....I'm noticing that some of the people in my life are suddenly on 'live healthy' kicks, starting or re-focusing on exercise and nutrition. Yesterday at work, the firm sponsored a health screening through our insurance company. For $10, they checked blood pressure, BMI, Body Fat %, Glucose and cholesterol. Unfortunately, I missed it (friend's funeral was yesterday) - but I had to chuckle when I reviewed my boss's calendar upon arriving to work and she had 'Official Start of Healthy Living' marked proudly on October 1st.

Her brother is a runner (big time), and she told me she talked to him about me. (?) She told him, 'I think she's in deep'. And I think her brother & I are now instant amigos, vicariously through running. He had all kinds of advice for her to pass on to me. It's important to note here that when my boss came back from vacation this summer, I had just started C25K and she didn't know that - but she was 'making fun' of her brother and his wife because of how they got up every morning and ran together for 'hours'. When she eventually found out that I was 'running', she had that 'oh that's nice, good for you' attitude. She meant it, but I don't think she really thought it would become a 'thing'.

Until the results start showing on the outside. NOW she is paying attention. Others are doing the same. Suddenly I hear, 'so what do you eat?', 'how long have you been running?' 'where can I find that 'couch' plan?'. Hey ~ it's all good to me! I became inspired to get off my rear when I read other people's stories and saw their progress pictures. Sometimes that's what it takes, right?

I don't want to force my lifestyle on anyone, kind of like religion or politics you know - this is what I do for ME, it's how I roll. But secretly it's kind of cool to think we've inspired someone, even indirectly, to do something good for themselves!

8 comments:

BeachRunner said...

Amen sistah.

Anonymous said...

That's a great attitude and I think you're right when it starts to show people take notice. It's not a bad thing actually and you should be so proud of what you've accomplished. :-)

Hey...Nicole and I are trying to get in touch with you for a pre-Thanksgiving get together in Michigan...email me.

Nicole said...

Be proud of yourself! I think your VERY inspiring to others & you have such kind words. :)

Kristy said...

Actions are definitely speaking louder than words, Cyndi. You are an inspiration. You know I'm following along in the wake of your runner's footsteps.

Anonymous said...

I'm starting the C25K tonight. So I did a blog search for other who have done it.

Its so true though. I've been toying with the idea for almost a year now and now that I see how well my aunt is coming along I'm ready to put it into action for myself.

Anonymous said...

this is what I do for ME, it's how I roll
--
that made me smile...and agree with you as WHO CAN SAY? those you have inspired you might have saved their life.

pretty darn cool, IMO.

SuperDave said...

One of the things that I can tell in your posts is your enthusiasm. It is addicting.

Being an inspiration is so cool..

RooBabs said...

This is so cool. It's a great feeling to be an inspiration to others. A lot of times you may not realize it, but it's great when you're aware. You are definitely an inspiration to me- I love following along with your progress!