Monday, October 6, 2008

Monday rambling...

Well, things are 'amok' in the household these days. On top of Chris having a bad weekend (again), it appears that my little Gracie's stomach migraines are back in action. As the neurologist had predicted when we last saw her in June, things calmed down for Grace over the summer, and now that fall has arrived, she has had a couple of stomach aches over the past 3 weeks. The first three were really just 'mentions' of a stomach ache but she was able to push through the discomfort and go about her day. This weekend however, that all changed.

Saturday evening she was unusually tired and fell asleep at 6:30 on the couch. Grace is the Energizer Bunny - she will go go go go until she absolutely has to stop. She is never idle, always running, playing and busy. So for her to crash at that hour of the day is unheard of. I thought maybe she had stayed up too late at her little sleepover Friday night, but no - they fell asleep around 9:30 or 10. Then Sunday, she was a little 'sensitive' and sort of woke on the wrong side of the bed. Went to play with a friend in the afternoon, and when I spoke to her on the phone she didn't seem 'right' to me. Sure enough when she came home yesterday evening, she said her stomach had started hurting around 2pm. I knew then that a migraine was kicking in. I gave her some Periactin and Motrin and she went to bed early again. This morning, she was still uncomfortable and ended up sleeping it off at Grandma's all day today. By 2 pm today, she literally bounded off the couch and was a new kid. Interesting the stomach pain lasted exactly 24 hours. The fatigue and emotional stuff was the 'prodrome' to this episode.

So, the plan is to now put her on a daily med to prevent the episodes from happening at all. Both she and Chris have neuro appointments at the Cleveland Clinic this Wednesday. I find it interesting too that her stomach episodes start at the same time that Chris has a spike in HIS seizure activity. I really think it is all related to the change in available daylight (serotonin levels etc), weather patterns etc. The brain is a fascinating thing.

I am looking forward though to meeting a new neurologist for Chris - she is the Director of the Peds Epilepsy department at the Clinic. Her biography is filled with research, awards, and journals that she has authored. She specializes in epilepsy treatments for children and adolescents. I hope she can give us some new insight. I am hesitant about putting Chris on Depakote, but of course if this is her opinion too, we will go with it.

Both kids are happy as clams though now, so another 'storm' weathered for now! That's how it goes - you take it as it comes, do what you need to do, and march on.

I'm hoping to get a morning run in tomorrow. I felt antsy today and can't wait to get to the point where I can run more days. I know I can cross-train, but nothing appeals to me at the moment!

Cheers all!

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Cyndi, I really hope things work out for your kids. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully the new neuro will give you some awesome insight! Good Luck!

SuperDave said...

It sounds like you got the " right" doc. :)

Anonymous said...

happy running morning.

you are juggling so much and all so calmly.

Im impressed.

BeachRunner said...

Good luck to you and the kids.

Kristy said...

Cyndi,
I hope the new neuro doc had some helpful suggestions. I'm so glad you have running to look forward to ♥ {{hugs}} ♥
-Kristy

RooBabs said...

I've been meaning to respond to the comment you left on my worry post about Grace's issues. I can totally relate to that because I've had migraines ever since I was a kid. I would have such horrible pain and be so nauseated that the only cure was to throw up a few times, then sleep it off in a dark, quiet room. It's so sad that at such a young age she has physical symptoms of stress, but it's great that you are working with doctors to hopefully get her through it. What you said about helping her self-esteem I think will also help, too. Even though I was an overachiever, I always had self-esteem/self-worth issues, which I believe contributed to my stress (of always wanting to be "perfect" or have everything always go the right way).

Maybe you could have her start a journal- I started when I was 8, and it was a good way for me to vent my frustrations without affecting other people's feelings. And maybe even challenge her to look for at least one good thing to write about each day (similar to the "gratitude journal" concept).

Good luck with everything. It amazes me how you continue to deal with everything. You are one strong woman!