Not surprisingly, there was no move on the scale this week for me! But, my body is under 'stress' from being sick, I am on medications galore: (Flovent inhaler, Albuterol inhaler, antibiotics, steroids....) so despite my basically liquid diet of the last few days, I've got nuthin to show for it on the scale! It's OKAY though...I am always preaching about The Big Picture, so today I will step back and look at the last 30 days. Since my weigh in on 9/17, I have lost:
Chest - 1/2"
Waist - 3/4"
Hips - 3/4"
Thighs - 1/2"
That's two and 1/2 inches 'less' of me. 2 1/2" that make my pants pretty saggy in the rear and thighs, as well as make them 'longer' lol. This same 2.5 inches amazingly translates to ONLY two pounds lost in 30 days? That's crazy science, but if I'm shrinking, I'm not complaining. (yet, lol) When I first started this journey, I had grand plans of losing 2 pounds a week, 8 pounds a month, reaching my 30 pound loss by about the end of November. Alas, I've only lost 2 pounds in 4 weeks. I'd be kicked off The Biggest Loser by now!
Since Wednesday posts always seem to be about numbers, I thought I'd share a little formula I came across this week, that sort of raised my eyebrows. I picked up some back issues of Runner's World from the library last week and have been reading through the April issue, which was the 'Weight Loss Special Issue'. They featured 4 people who wanted to lose various amounts of weight, from 5 to 25+ pounds, and outlined training and nutrition plans for each to help them reach their goals.
The woman who wanted to lose 25+ pounds and to 'stop a lifelong gain/loss cycle' of course matches my goals. The formula for calculating the calories I need daily in order to reach my goal is this:
1) Multiply goal weight by 10. (130 x 10 = 1300)
2) Add 20% to that number if you sit at a desk all day (1,560)
3) Add the number of cals burned during your workouts (300 x 3 = 900 + 1560 = 2,460)
4) Reduce the total by 15% (2,091)
So to keep it simple, this formula says I need 2,000 calories a day???? That seems like a lot to me. I would say I am currently taking in way WAY less than that. Hmmmm....dare I say it? What would happen if I actually INCREASE my calories closer to 2000 per day? I would say I average somewhere around 1600-1800 cals based on a quick review of my log. Sure, some days maybe I do get close to 2,000, other days it's way less. I'm at 22 points for Weight Watchers, but I would probably say, I am way too low on 'good fat' intake, and based on the formula above, not getting enough calories, especially given the still relatively 'new' demands I am putting on this body. Case in point, my average daily breakfast usually has TWO grams of fat. TWO.
It's a risk, but I'm going to try it for the next week. I've never been a calorie counter - points yes, calories no. But, I am curious about this whole 'make-sure -you -eat-enough' concept, so I'm willing to try it. What's the worse thing that can happen? I maybe gain a pound? Big deal...the only way I'm going to figure it out is by trial and error.
The food plan assigned, based on this formula is this:
Aim for four small meals a day that are about the same number of calories. Have at least 3 types of food in each meal...fruit/vege, grain, and lean protein. 55-65% of calories should be from carbs (whole grain, fruits), 10-15% protein and 20-30% from unsaturated fat (yikes). I will try this and report my result next week.
Aside from all this, I am starting to feel better, but not well enough to run. Maybe tomorow I will do a run/walk on the treadmill. The ER doc who treated me Monday afternoon said I likely have a 'reactive airway' type asthma (reacting to colds and virus)- and it can be allergy related too (indicated by my difficulty running outdoors on some days). Basically I need to schedule a follow up with my GP and get a plan in place to treat the sporadic asthma symptoms and of course, always have an inhaler available (note to self: don't let the inhaler expire or get buried in some junk drawer somewhere). I don't think I need long term daily treatment for asthma, but maybe a daily or seasonal allergy med, and the inhaler available as needed for the outdoor runs on high mold count days - which around here is pretty much between July and November.
I do feel as if I've done 1,000 sit ups in the last 4 days - my abs, back - my whole core is killing.me. Does coughing count as working my core? ;-)
Cheers!
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
Cyndi,
I'm right with you on the losing weight thing. I've lost about 2 lbs in the past 4 weeks, but my body is changing for the better. I looked at my progress chart on the WW site, and I can see that where the C25K running got longer I stopped losing at the pace I was losing. Hmmm...and when I eat a few points higher than my target of 22, I tend to lose more. It tends to work better when I've had a couple of spot-on days before eating more, but it is funny how that works. I'd be curious to see how the increase in calories affects your weight.
I hope you feel better soon.
i need to figure out how many calories a day im supposed to consume. . . i consume WAY too many i know that!!
I'm glad (even though your abs are sore) that your starting to feel somewhat better!
Sounds like a good plan...trial and error is what this is all about.
Just a note: for WW 1 POINT is equal to ABOUT 50 calories so 22 points is 1100 calories a day. Like me, you work out a ton so I would start with 1200-1250 but I personally think that 2000 is WAY too much. The 100 cal/day increased worked for me. Not that I am an expert just trying to help you out. :-)
We do expect a full experiment report and most of all we want you to feel better.
PS: Check your email :-)
Congrats on all those inches lost!! Who cares if you've only lost 2 lbs- remember about the size 10 vs size 12? You're smaller!! Throw away the scale (just kidding).
The formula seems a little weird to me, too. I noticed on your workouts that you have 3 x 300. Do you do that many workouts a day, or did the formula call for weekly workouts? That might make a difference, but either way, the food plan sounds very logical and reasonable. I've read that runners need closer to 30% fat calories to keep their joints lubricated. That's why I always add flax seed to my cereal or oatmeal, and stay away from fat-free milk, because it adds healthy fats. I usually aim for 50-55% carbs and 15-20% protein, though.
Good luck with treating the asthma- you definitely don't want to mess with it. And yes, coughing definitely counts as a workout (especially if you're that sore). Feel better soon!!! = )
Way to keep your eyes on the big picture! Way to go!!
Congrats on the inches lost. That is fantastic. And good luck tweaking your diet regimen.
yes. coughing fo'shizzzzzle count as your core work (or at least it does in casa miz.)
take care of yourself (& kudos on all the loss!!)
Miz.
Post a Comment