Friday, October 10, 2008

TGIF - Show and Tell

Today's Friday Fact (AKA Show & Tell) comes from Mark's Daily Apple. The post today is very timely, given our volatile economic climate. I don't know about you, but boy do I get some heart palps in the check out line these days. Feeding a family of five takes a huge chunk out of the household budget these days!


It's shaping up to be a beautiful weekend here in Northeast Ohio! This weekend I hope to take the whole family down to the Cleveland Metroparks to 'play'. The Metroparks are affectionately known as 'The Valley' around here. Sadly, we don't take the time to enjoy this giant playground with our kids. My husband spent his entire childhood playing and causing trouble exploring in the valley. It is an excellent place to picnic, bike, roller blade, walk, fish and RUN.


YES! I am so looking forward to hitting the trails in The Valley to RUN, with like, OTHER RUNNERS. It's going to be so cool to run in nature, see the leaves changing, pass other runners (or be passed, in my case ha ha). While I do my 30 minute run, the hub and kids can explore the boat dock, hike, play frisbee - whatever. I am looking forward to it. The closest Reservation to us is the Rocky River Reservation which I am most familiar with and that's where I will do my first 'valley run'. Running the loop around my 'hood is great, but this is going to be my first real run outside my comfort zone of the neighborhood track, my neighborhood, or my treadmill.


Last night I had a great run in the dark - I ran my first 5K! My Garmin confused me, because when the data transfer ocurred - there were three laps showing up, so not exactly sure what that was all about because I never touched my watch while running, but anyway, my pace was under 12 minutes which was cool, my average heart rate was 150, and it looks like I did the 5K in 35 minutes! I was working hard, because for some reason, I can not slow down outside. It takes me about 10 minutes to get comfortable but the rest of the run went fast! Anyway, I will not do the 5K again until the race on the 25th, I was just curious to see where I was - hopefully I can do a little better after 2 more weeks, but I was pleasantly surprised to do it in 35 minutes quite frankly. I'd be happy with that - but perhaps after going all out in the last stretch of the race, maybe I can shave a little more off that. We'll see!


Random share....my new favorite snack: Oatmeal with 1 tablespoon peanut butter. I had this post-run last night, with an apple. YUM.


I hope everyone has a great weekend with great runs, great football and fun with family and friends!


3 comments:

BeachRunner said...

That looks like a really great place for running and family fun. Enjoy your weekend.

Nicole said...

Awesome job! Thats great improvement! keep up the good running! And enjoy this BEAUTIFUL weather we've been blessed with.. it will probably snow next week hahaha :)

RooBabs said...

"The Valley" sounds like a great place to hang out on the weekend (and run). Where do you get your great running pictures with the quotes?

Congrats on running 5k- what a great time!! It usually takes me about 10 minutes into a run before I feel the groove. Do you do a warm-up at all, either walking or at a slower pace, before you run? For me that really makes a difference.