Back in July, when I started the C25K program, I had some serious doubts that I would *really* actually participate in a race. Now here it is...I'm just six days away from my first 5K! I'm excited, nervous...I have feelings of "I can't believe I'm really going to do this".
The race next Saturday is 'The Great Pumpkin 5K and Fun Run". My youngest daughter (9) asked me to sign her up for the 1 Mile Kids Run, which I thought was great! The 5K starts at 9am, and her run is at 9:45, so I'd better be finished in time to watch her run!
I know this is just the beginning, and I need to actually DO the 5K first but of course I'm already planning ahead! I would LOVE to meet up with my BBF (Best Blog Friend) Shosh in Nashville for the Country Music Half Marathon in April. That is 6 months from now - can I really be ready to run 13.1 by then? My original 'plan' was to run the 10K in the Cleveland Marathon in May! Well, it's worth shooting for - I am researching training plans now to see what's do-able for me. I do know that I need to start running more and adding distance (slowly).
For those more experienced runners....can I just add a fourth (easy) day of 30 minutes , or do I have to work up to that slowly too? I really think I should be running 4 days now. I believe most 1/2 marathon training plans have 4 days on the schedule.
Opinions anyone? Thoughts?
Happy Sunday all!
Sunday, October 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
This is so exciting. You will have so much fun in the 5k.
As far as the training goes, both 3 or 4 day per week training plans can work. With 4 day plans you can incorporate some kind of lower impact cross training (i.e. biking, spinning, elliptical, etc) one day per week. Most of the success of a training plan really depends on the individual. Your work/life schedule, etc matter more in determining what plan feels best for you. Whatever you do, dont make the mistake of overdoing it and causing an injury.
Hey there!! Thanks for the BBF shout out as I feel the same way about you. xoxo
I am sooooooo excited for your race next weekend. You are going to be amazing!! Seriously you have a time to finish goal so that you can see Grace and I am sure that you'll make it. PICTURES ARE REQUIRED of your entire racing family.
By the way...my friends and I are talking about relaying the Cleveland Marathon sooooo I may be there too depending on when it is.
You can bump up your running by one day and only do one long run a week. Each week make that run longer and longer. I promise that you'll be ready if you want to come to Nashville...Kenny Chesney anyone LOL
I can't wait to hear about your race and how awesome you do! Good luck!
I'm just as excited about your first ever 5K. You'll rock it I'm sure.
Okay, somehow I missed this post (I thought I was caught up, darn it). About adding a day, you can totally run 4 days a week, as long as you don't push it too hard on all of the days. Like Shosh said, you just do one long run a week and increase that each week (by about 10% or less). Your long run should be at a slower pace than your other runs, and don't run too fast for all of your other runs.
You can check out plans for training on Runners World.com or do a search for Hal Higdon. I've heard he has great plans. Or check out Jeff Galloway. You can totally do a half-marathon next spring. That would be so exciting!!!
Post a Comment